Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week.
- The nice thing about Linux is that you have choice unlike Windows and Mac OS. Here’s a nice summary.
- There are two very distinct sides to this situation about not using smartphones in the classroom. Ontario’s law kicks in November 4. When will newspapers stop the expression cellphone and call these what they actually are?
- Everything you ever wanted to know about the growth and development of Microsoft presented in a timeline.
- Many of us relied on OSAP to help fund university. What happens when it gets cut?
- If you couldn’t make it to ECOOcamp Peterborough, you’re in luck. Many of the resources are now available on TeachOntario.
- A blog post from an Ontario Educator who in now retired and doesn’t share the first day jitters that so many others did.
- I agree that the Chromebook needs a little more respect and could be the solution for so many students.
- Just when I start to think that Flash is finally done, I run into a website that continues to use it. Edge and Chrome are going to stop support.
- I have always been a fan of optical illusions. This kept me busy for quite a while!
- This path would be way too long for my daily working partner and me but it’s interesting what can be done with Google Maps.
- I wasn’t totally prepared for living on my own at university. I agree with a lot of this.
- Java programmers give us inspiration for various tools.
- The Brave browser apparently shows what we fear about data gathering and tracking.
- Yeah, but would having one on board decrease your mileage? Is mileage even a thing with electrical cars?
Blog Posts on doug … off the record
My daily contributions to this blog.
- Sunday – My Week Ending September 1, 2019
- Monday – You have two months
- Tuesday – That first day
- Wednesday – An Interview with Skip Zalneraitis
- Thursday – Your own Enigma Machine
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – ROT-ting
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … TV Dinners?
#FollowFriday – September 5, 2019
My on demand radio page can be found here.
This week’s show:
Blog posts this week came from:
- @Self_Reg (@avivaloca)
I’ve been doing the #FollowFriday thing for a long time now. It’s a chance to highlight the great collection of Ontario Educators who use Twitter to make connections and share ideas.
In the beginning, quite frankly, it was easy. With the access to the Twitter API, I had written a script to do the heavy lifting for me. But, over the years, access has become more difficult.
These days, my posts are done manually. I actually enjoy doing it because it slows me down and gives me a chance to review the sharing that it done. Such good stuff.
And, for the most part, Twitter is a partner. When you start a name with a @ and start typing, Twitter makes suggestions to names and a press of ENTER autocompletes. Except, every now and again, Twitter stops suggesting names and I’m on my own to type in the complete name. Needless to say, getting the spelling right is crucial.
After my marathon, I’ll go back and check and I’m always impressed that between Twitter and me, we get it right. This past week though, as I checked, there were actually a couple of spelling mistakes. They stand out in a list because they’re the only ones that haven’t been converted to links.
I need to do better.
Video of the Week
Jackie Wilson’s song gets covered by The Boss.
Photo of the Week
This past week, I’ve run into a number of Eastern Fox Snakes. I guess they’re out there catching a few of the remaining summer rays.
This little guy was at our front doorstep! I don’t know if he was lost or just wanted in. He got a guided trip elsewhere!
Thanks for reading. Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting.
This blog post was originally posted at:
If you find it anywhere else, it’s not original.