Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week.
- As users, we have all kinds of opportunities for cloud storage. Here’s a summary for OneDrive.
- There are all kinds of ideas to stop students from cheating. I’ll admit that this is one of the most bizarre.
- The federal election was still done with paper ballots and a pencil. Yet, I guess, there are ways to screw even that up.
- I didn’t find this Mathematics quiz all that difficult. Would you?
- I had my own problems with the Macintosh Catalina but they aren’t nearly as bad as some of the ones reported here.
- Every time I read stories about teachers being abused by students in the classroom, I cringe..
- I haven’t had the desire to use TikTok. Maybe I’m too old. But, here’s a primer for parents.
- For all my librarian and teacher-librarian friends, a delightful collection of library puns – some that will even make you laugh out loud.
- Who didn’t grow up lvoing Audubon’s bird pictures and how a collection of them are free to download.
- The advice given here is good. Do your security a favour and download and use a Password Manager.
- If you’re paranoid that your computer is listening to you, you can always turn it off. Here are instructions for Cortana.
- I’m also paying for slow, crappy internet access. If it was faster, I’d be doing this for sure.
- Maybe if we didn’t have rules, I would have been a better writer as a child.
- A review of the new Google Pixelbook Go. Finally, a Chromebook from Google that might be considered affordable by some.
Blog Posts on doug … off the record
My daily contributions to this blog.
- Sunday – My Week Ending October 20, 2019
- Monday – Learning WordPress
- Tuesday – About words
- Wednesday – News, then and now
- Thursday – Automatic clicks
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – Bring TVO Into Your Classroom
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … slugs?
#FollowFriday – October 25, 2019
My on demand radio page can be found here.
This week’s show
Blog posts this week came from:
I’ve been reading stories about just how bad the Macintosh Catalina upgrade as been. I upgraded and my problems are documented in this blog.
There was a minor “fix” (which was still about 1GB in size – not what I would label “minor”) and I applied it.
My latest reading revealed this – https://www.valuewalk.com/2019/10/macos-catalina-is-bricking-some-macs-thanks-to-damaged-efi-firmware/
“Bricking” and “computers” should never appear in the same sentence. I know my computer is older but I’d rather than Apple just stop supporting it instead of providing a new upgrade that has such little quality control and can cause major damage.
Video of the Week
If this doesn’t make you think, I don’t know what will.
Photo of the Week
The squirrels are getting ready for Christmas and the new chips in the yard look like easy digging, I guess. How will they find them once this is covered with snow?
Thanks for reading. Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting.
This blog post was originally posted at:
If you find it anywhere else, it’s not original.