Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week.
- Helicoptering and bulldozing in education! Is it good for anyone?
- Crazy, but I guess the reality is that we live in a changing society and security agents have to act on any threat with appropriate action.
- I’m not a fan of articles that claim that they know something that I don’t know. Usually, I find that I know many of the things and yet, there still is one or two new to me.
- Using video in the classroom is a popular activity. But, even this can get boring after a while. Here are some ideas to spruce the concept up.
- For a while now, there are claims that school starts too early. California is doing something about it.
- When you read this article about how women are treated, you’ll want to check your calendar and make sure that it’s 2019.
- This has got to be a propaganda post for bargaining for larger classrooms.
- It’s fascinating to watch when companies are getting bought up and who is doing the buying. This time, it’s Sophos.
- Since Google Search comes as the default for so many browsers, many people just use it, not realizing that there are alternatives.
- I’ll be cheering on the Expos, er, Nationals in the World Series. My Tigers are toast.
- You’ve got to like it when tech companies do something to pay it back. This time, it’s Microsoft and the Girl Scouts.
- I’d argue that Barbara Gordon should rank higher than third in this list of 50 Fictional Librarians.
- Reality or negotiating ploy? ETFO says the government is stalling.
- This is such a powerful statement and potential action. We worry about students all the time – what about the teachers?
Blog Posts on doug … off the record
My daily contributions to this blog.
- Sunday – My Week Ending October 13, 2019
- Monday – Happy Thanksgiving
- Tuesday – Bad, bad upgrade
- Wednesday – Bad week for updates
- Thursday – When games were good
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – The last weekend
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … school bells?
#FollowFriday – October 18, 2019
My on demand radio page can be found here.
This week’s show.https://voiced.ca/podcast_episode_post/october-16/
Blog posts this week came from:
A week later and my Chromebook is still crashing periodically upon putting it to sleep. There appears to be no rhyme or reason. I finally did get the reporting feature to let me send in a report.
So now, the upgrade and fix is in Google’s hands. I don’t wish ill to any other computer user but I hope I’m not the only one.
I’d like to get the fix ASAP rather than waiting for notification. So, I did what I’ve done so many times before. I went to the Timbit menu and chose “About”. Normally, there is a “Check for updates” button on that page. It’s gone!
I had to poke around and there’s another “About” item, this time by going to the other Settings menu. It was comforting to find the update. It was not so comforting to find that there wasn’t one ready to download.
I wonder if one of those Settings navigation areas will eventually go away. Hopefully, it will become clearer the next time there’s an update.
Video of the Week
Photo of the Week
OK, so this is a video but one that will make you hungry.
Thanks for reading. Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting.
This blog post was originally posted at:
If you find it anywhere else, it’s not original.