Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week.
- If you’re running Windows of any ilk, you should have virus protection on and continually monitoring things if you’re connected to the web. Here’s a review of the best according to Cnet.
- Or, you can run Linux which is a much harder operating system against viruses and increasingly runs great applications. That seems to be the direction of South Korea.
- If you own an Android, you’ve already done that. But, there are far worse things on the web than worrying about Google and its 2FA.
- This has been a big story everywhere – politics, technology – I still don’t know how the US and China can be such big trading powers but then the Huawei thing comes along.
- It was so sad to read the results of this poll. It would be interesting to see how much this sentiment has increased in the past two years.
- Gamification is something that all classroom teachers should research and consider in their world. Yes, the root is in gaming but the result is anything but.
- Every year, the question about whether or not to allow your child to take the EQAO test arises.
- The beginning of real stories about what will be cut to meet the budget cuts. It seems to me the process is backwards; you should start with the program that you want delivered and then decide how to afford it. This time, it’s music that’s on the chopping block.
- Got a Chromebook for the first time? Here’s a guide. Even if you do have one, there’s bound to be a tip or two in here you didn’t know or have forgotten.
- I’ve lived through all these changes in the music industry so found it interesting. But, I never owned an 8-track player. (my best friend had one in his car)
- As long as the Google folks don’t get rid of the two finger tap to bring up the context menu, I won’t be affected. But, if you use ALT-CLICK, you should read this.
- Somehow, I’m sure that this will end up being blamed on Canada. After all, we’ve been labelled the bad guys in NAFTA. How, it will be weather?
- At the time of this article, the Raptors were one win away from the NBA finals. After last night, they’re in! Read it to fact check.
- There are lots of options to the Google Search that so many use. This is a list of them.
Blog Posts on doug … off the record
My daily contributions to this blog.
- Sunday – My Week Ending May 19, 2019
- Monday – Sharing
- Tuesday – Little help here
- Wednesday – A bunch of whys
- Thursday – The cuts and the damage done
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – My new scanner
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … Checker Flag Speedway?
#FollowFriday – May 24, 2019
My on demand radio page can be found here.
Opening song this week:
The latest #TWIOE show features blog posts from:
It’s kind of comforting to know that I can make silly mistakes when you see an organization that’s very big and has lots of resources and yet make errors themselves.
I’m talking about Ferrari and the qualifying incident with Charles Leclerc. Of course, it doesn’t help that I’m a Ferrari fan.
But, with all the computer technology and strategy masters in the red team’s pits, they elected not to let Leclerc run one more lap in qualifying. The result ended up being out of the qualification series and a really poor starting position in Monaco. It’s a place where there isn’t much opportunity to pass. (or overtake as the Europeans say)
Video of the Week
There’s too much of this going on around here.
Photo of the Week
I think it’s safe to say that beach volleyball is canceled in Belle River.
Please join me daily and I hope that you check in next Sunday for a summary of my week.
Thanks for reading.
This blog post was originally posted at:
If you find it anywhere else, it’s not original.