I had to wear pants this morning.
Now, before you give me a TMI, let me explain. All summer, I wear shorts or a bathing suit. I enjoy the warm/hot weather. Having to wear pants is always a concession by me that there may be something after summer. Wearing pants is a binary thing. You either wear them or you don’t.
Autumn is also a time that I look around and notice the other things that are happening, seemingly over night.
- the fall fairs – the kickoff for me is the Harrow Fair; then the Western Fair; and now the Acton Fair… They’re a special event, having grown up in a place that has a Spring Fair
- perhaps rated to that, it’s time for everyone to be a crafter of some sort
- the never ending song of the crickets
- visits to an apple orchard
- visits to a pumpkin farm
- visits to a corn maze (not to be confused with corn maize)
- the neighbour who has gourds strategically placed around their yard
- farmers out harvesting and bailing
- pumpkin flavoured things for sale everywhere
- the “spook house”, leading into Hallowe’en
- the end of baseball and the start of football
- warnings about hurricanes
- the return of school buses
For me, Autumn is much more of an event than the change into other seasons. For some reason, it’s the one season change where everything appears to happen all at once. I just ease into the other seasons!
What would you add to the list?