Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week. They’re posted to the blog daily under the title OTR Links.
- Facebook and Firefox working together? I find that a really interesting partnership considering the recent changes to Firefox to fence off Facebook
- It would be nice if all browsers explained their business model so that we know if our information is being sold – this is Vivaldi’s
- Some suggestions about how to get the Google Chrome browser to use less power from your laptop battery
- You do good by doing good and here are some ideas
- Bing has come a long way since it first came along and was a joke – this article suggests that it might be time to switch away from Google Search
- There’s a new interface to Gmail and I’m testing it out here – they’ve really embraced the fact that so many of us have wide screen monitors these days
- I’ve spent a lot of time in the Subway and the underground walk in downtown Toronto – it’s fascinating and I can’t imagine it empty
- The “My PIllow” guy gets denied access to Canada and for good reason, he wasn’t playing by the rules in order to enter
- Some ideas of what might be coming in Windows 11 – nice but what’s it going to take to move the taskbar to the left side of the screen?
- The new kid on the COVID vaccination block is Novavax
- What’s old is new again, maybe. Remember how the world was coming to an end with Y2K? There may be issues with upcoming versions of Chrome and Firefox
- If you’re a user of Gmail, you may want to check out these extensions to see if it solves a problem you have or a problem you might not know you have
- It’s an interesting claim to fame about this new font from Google but, of course, they couldn’t release it and say that it made things more difficult to read
- I don’t game much anymore on my computer but this collection of games created with block pixels reminded me of a time when I did
Blog Posts on
doug — off the record
My daily contributions to this blog are linked below. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending February 13, 2022
- Monday – Memories of so long ago
- Tuesday – Big business
- Wednesday – Lots more than one
- Thursday – WE’RE ON THE PLANET TEZRA HELPING CHILDREN LEARN TO MANAGE THEIR EMOTIONS …
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – Not everyone can pivot
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … ?
#FollowFriday – February 18, 2022
This Week in Ontario Edublogs is a show/podcast that features great writing from Ontario Edubloggers. Stephen Hurley and I use their writing as the basis for a conversation.
- Diana Maliszewski – @MzMollyTL
- Peter Beens – @pbeens
- Charles Pascal – @CEPascal
- Lynn McLaughlin – @lynnmcla
- Kristy – @2peasandadog
- Joel McLean – @jprofNB
- Gary Stewart
This week’s show:
All of the shows are archived here. The show is broadcast LIVE almost every Wednesday morning at 8:45 on voicEd Radio and is downloadable as a podcast later.
With the big storm this past week, I decided to put a new operating system on an old computer. I didn’t have a big enough USB key for the project so a quick trip into town was necessary.
All went well and when I took a look at the memory stick, the installer had put two drive mappings onto it. The simple format command only does one drive at a time. I want the entire key should I ever need it again.
It involved some surgery with non-standard tools – I used the Macintosh Disk Utility to get the job done and I now have my 16GB drive back with nothing on it.
Look what I made
With all the Wordle craze, I of course blogged about it earlier but also created a Wakelet of all the Wordle clones I could find. Once created, I’ve been adding to it daily, it seems. I guess it’s presumptuous to think I could do it all in one sessions. It certainly has taken the online world by storm
My collection is available here: https://wke.lt/w/s/BuvP40
There are 32 entries but the day is still young. Enjoy.
Video of the Week
It’s getting real in Ottawa
Photo of the Week
If looks could kill…
Thanks for reading.
Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting for you. I honestly and truthfully appreciate your few moments reading my thoughts. Time willing, this summary appears every Sunday afternoon.
This blog post was originally posted at: