On Sunday night, I was tagged in a strange post from Derek Rhodenizer. I wondered if he was at a Grammy party and needed ammunition from his network of music lovers.
Less I miss it, Derek tagged me and a number of others in a subsequent post. So, I started to think and couldn’t come up with just one song. Derek cut me some slack and let me have 10. I thought about it for a while and returned a list.
- Guess Who – American Woman
- Tragically Hip – Wheat Kings
- Gordon Lightfoot – Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
- Bare Naked Ladies – If I Had a Million Dollars
- Anne Murray – Snowbird
- Max Webster – Diamonds, Diamonds
- Shania Twain – From This Moment
- Drake – Best I Ever Had
- Neil Young – Needle and the Damage Done
- Rush – Closer to the Heart
Of course, as I pressed reply, all kinds of other songs came into mind. In fact, it wasn’t American Woman that came into mind when I thought of Guess Who. The title of that song inspired me to take a different tack on songs.
“Songs with Canadian locations in their title.”
So, let’s rock this country.
1. The Guess Who – Running Back to Saskatoon
(This was the very first song I thought of…)
2. The Tragically Hip – Bobcaygeon
3. Stompin’ Tom Connors – Tillsonburg
4. Murray McLauchlan – Down by the Henry Moore
5. Drake – 5AM In Toronto
Honourable Mention –
Max Webster – Research (At Beach Resorts)
Wasaga Beach but they should have said Grand Bend!
Why is there no live version?
Of course, Hank Snow had been everywhere. He’s probably got a bigger list. How about you? What song did I miss?