Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week. They’re posted to the blog daily under the title OTR Links.
- Silly me – I use my Smart television for watching shows and streaming services – there are other things that it can do
- This is a really important message for teachers about the things that they can do to support mental health – an important thing these days
- The biggest social media news last week was the lack of access to Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp – but hey, Twitter was good
- There are all kinds of settings in your browser – here’s a recommended few to change for safety and privacy online
- The big news around here was the shutdown of the Ambassador bridge because of grenades found in secondary search
- Bright Lights at Jackson Park in Windsor is awesome and it just might be coming back for this holiday season
- A heads up that you’re going to need to be vaccinated if you want to fly or take a Via train in the near future
- My response is that if coding was easy, everyone would be doing it. Serious coding, I mean
- A great opportunity for young ladies to attend the University of Windsor to learn a bit about the field of engineering
- How cool is this – playing music from Alan Turing’s computer
- We’re hearing more and more stories like this where people are being fired/let go for not getting vaccinated. This one from Windsor, Ontario
- I can remember buying a little device that I blew in to in order to tune my guitar. Now, Google does it
- This is the best good news story about a class act at a secondary school that I’ve read in a long time
- When I get the nod to upgrade to Windows 11, I’ll be using this almost immediately
Blog Posts on
doug — off the record
My daily contributions to this blog are linked below. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending October 3, 2021
- Weekly summary of things around here
- Monday – School on Saturday?
- How to make the worst of a bad situation
- Tuesday – How I sped up my Chromebook
- What I needed to do although my issues were probably self-inflicted
- Wednesday – My benefits of blogging
- My thoughts about why I blog
- Thursday – Staying safe
- A national resource listing updates and patches
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- A review of seven recent blog posts from Ontario Educators
- Saturday – Identifying mushrooms
- If you still need proof that there is an app for everything, how about mushrooms?
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … ?
- A weekly fun post to try to get you to reflect on things and share your thoughts
#FollowFriday – October 8, 2021
This is a mostly weekly radio conversion with Stephen Hurley on voicEd Radio where we talk about some recent writing from Ontario Education bloggers. It turns into a Friday blog post. Here are the people you need to be following.
- Elizabeth Lyons – @mrslyonslibrary
- Melanie White – @WhiteRoomRadio
- Jessica Outram – @jessicaoutram
- Amy Bowker – @amyebowker
- Marc Hodgkinson – @Mr_H_Teacher
- Laura Wheeler – @wheeler_laura
- Lisa Corbett – @LisaCorbett0261
This week’s show:
All of the shows are archived here. The show is broadcast LIVE almost every Wednesday morning at 8:45 on voicEd Radio.
I suppose that I’m like everyone. You get a cheap set of ear buds with your iPod or other media device. My wonderful wife bought me a pair of Jabra wireless ear buds for a birthday present about a year ago. They are absolutely wonderful but an issue arose and I returned them for replacement. I can’t wait to get them back.
In the meantime, I’m going to Plan B which is wired. How can people live like this? My technique is to run the cable down the back of my shirt while walking and put the device in my hip pocket. A kludge for sure but it keeps me from getting caught in the cable.
The problem is that I’m trying a couple of different white ear buds and the sound is absolutely awful compared to my Jabras. Then, I hit a memory – at the Omaha airport a couple of years ago, I needed a set of ear buds for the flight home. I thought that my white ones were in my suitcase so I went to the airport store and looked around.
I ended up buying a set of Marley ear buds and they’re great. Not great compared to Jabra but certainly much better than the white ones that are thrown in when you purchase a player. I can’t wait to get my new replacement set back though.
Video of the Week
How Colleen Rose looks in a tie…
Photo of the Week
A mushroom crop circle
Thanks for reading.
Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting for you. I honestly and truthfully appreciate your few moments reading my thoughts. Time willing, this summary appears every Sunday afternoon.
This blog post was originally posted at: