Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week. They’re posted to the blog daily under the title OTR Links.
- I think most people get these signs of a lack of self-confidence at times. I know that I do and I know that I push to get through them
- And I was just getting used to a trackpad without physical buttons on it
- As a long-time Minnesota Vikings fan, I think they should all be in the Hall of Fame. Period. At the very least, I’d take Chuck Foreman. I used to wear his jersey all the time
- I sincerely hope that this is a challenge that every Tiktok user ignores
- I know that I’m old but I’m glad that I don’t look as old as they did in the good old day. I will wear t-shirts and shorts as long as I can dress myself
- We were really sickened by the release of this video from Uvalde showing the police officer actions
- I’m actually surprised that it’s taken Apple and Google this long to figure out another place for advertising
- It is sickening to see the reports of Emergency Rooms that are closed because of nurse shortages – my home town of Clinton made this list and now Mount Forest
- I love motivational quotes – here are twenty-five from Dale Carnegie
- Just when you thought it was quasi-safe to go out, we’re now raising red flags about BA.5 and there are still some who haven’t had their first shot
- I’m a bit fascinated with the images from the James Webb and hope that they keep coming.
- I’m not at the CSTA Conference in Chicago where I’ve been a regular for a couple of decades but I’m following on Alfred Thompson’s blog
- Alfred Thompson is blogging about his experiences at CSTA 2022 and I’m reading. This is his Day 3
- I’m really not a big fan of emojis because it takes key combinations and that moves my fingers from the keyboard. I suppose these will be appreciated by those who use them
Blog Posts on
doug — off the record
My daily contributions to this blog are linked below. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending July 10, 2022
- Monday – My life without Rogers
- Tuesday – One more peace playlist
- Wednesday – The good camera
- Thursday – Time for a new desktop image
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – Professional amateurs
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … ?
#FollowFriday – July 15, 2022
This Week in Ontario Edublogs is a blog post/show/podcast that features great writing from Ontario Edubloggers. Stephen Hurley and I use their writing as the basis for a conversation.
- Amanda Potts – @Ahpotts
- Jennifer Hutchison – @TESLOntario
- Paul McGuire – @mcguirp
- Lisa Corbett – @LisaCorbett0261
- Michael Frankfort – @mfrank_76
- Sylvia Duckworth – @sylviaduckworth
- David Petro – @davidpetro314
This week’s show:
This could easily be a “Whatever happened to…” post.
For years, I’ve worn a Medic Alert, my Bronze Medallion, and my Award of Merit on a chain around my neck. This past week, the chain came off while I was swimming and that inspired me to look closely at them again. The personalized engraving has almost worn off which was to be expected – I’ve worn them since the 1970s – but the loop on the Bronze Medallion had worn down to just about nothing.
Since they are so valuable to me, I wanted to get it fixed but how?
My wife suggested that a jeweller might be able to build it up doing their magic and so we went into town to get it done.
Their solution — and I guess it made sense — is not to build it up but to just drill a hole in the medallion and put a loop in there to attach to my chain.
We all solve problems in our own different ways.
Look what I made
With all the Wordle craze, I of course blogged about it earlier but also created a Wakelet of all the Wordle clones I could find. Once created, I’ve been adding to it daily, it seems. I guess it’s presumptuous to think I could do it all in one session. It certainly has taken the online world by storm.
My collection is available here: https://wke.lt/w/s/BuvP40
Update – July 2: Up to 68 entries.
Video of the Week
I needed a bit of inspiration this week.
Photo of the Week
One of our favourite dog walking places. Colchester Harbour taken from the top of the hill. The town of Essex has done so many improvements in the past couple of years.
Thanks for reading.
Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting for you. I honestly and truthfully appreciate your few moments reading my thoughts. Time willing, this summary appears every Sunday afternoon.
This blog post was originally posted at: