Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week. They’re posted to the blog daily under the title OTR Links.
- I love it when someone explores a piece of software and reveals things about it that I didn’t kjnow. This time, it’s Google Maps
- A homicide in Grand Bend? Seriously?
- My kids’ secondary school is closing in June and there was an open house to go through and see it one last time
- The Ontario Federation of Labour has been tracking Doug Ford and showing the results here
- A throwback video to Bring IT, Together ECOO 2013 – the first one that I co-chaired and we moved it to Niagara Falls
- Abortion is a big topic right now south of the border – here are three employers that will pay travel costs to get one
- Don Cherry was trending on Twitter so I clicked to find out way and he’s taking his ball home and not playing with Ron McLean. Sorry American readers, this really is a big deal for us Canadians who enjoy hockey and intermissions
- Amherstburg is celebrating the Queen’s Jubilee although as I type this on Saturday morning, it’s raining and lightning and there’s a Weather warning in effect
- I’m quite impressed with the Microsoft Edge browser and am now kicking the tires on Macintosh and it isn’t bad
- Kids today have it so easy – now use artificial intelligence to write your essays for you – is the day of essays for assessment over?
- Kids today have it so easy – now there’s a website where you can simulate that next job interview
- Great advice if you’re leaving your job – actually any time you’re going to abandon your technology, make sure you completely remove yourself from it to ensure your privacy
- Fiddleheads are a real treat – here’s how they get found and picked
- DuckDuckGo dukes it out with Google over privacy
Blog Posts on
doug — off the record
My daily contributions to this blog are linked below. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending May 15, 2022
- Monday – An Interview with Shyama Sunderaswara
- Tuesday – The apostrophe, Pacman and Larry the Cable Guy
- Wednesday – My thoughts about the debate
- Thursday – What’s up there?
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – Is this right?
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … ?
#FollowFriday – May 20, 2022
This Week in Ontario Edublogs is a blog post/show/podcast that features great writing from Ontario Edubloggers. Stephen Hurley and I use their writing as the basis for a conversation.
- Aviva Dunsiger – @avivaloca
- Elizabeth Lyons – @mrslyonslibrary
- Diana Maliszewski – @MzMollyTL
- Melanie White – @WhiteRoomRadio
- Melissa Turnbull – @missmturnbull
- Lynn Thomas – @THOMLYNN101
- STAO – @staoapso
This week’s show:
There was no voicEd Radio show this week, but the blog post from these great bloggers was still fun to research and write.
It’s always a challenge when operating systems are updated but the apps that run on them break because of the upgrade. I’m going through this with one of my favourite online games Boggle with Friends.
Until this past week, Boggle was a good actor.
But, this past week, Samsung updated their operating system and Boggle is having issues with it. If you’ve ever played Boggle, you know that speed is the success to winning. But now, if I get going really fast, the application locks up.
The first time it happened, I just kept tapping and swiping until I lost the game. Now, I recognise the lockup immediately and force quit it and get back as quickly as I can. I do lose some seconds but I can finish the game.
I’m sure that I’m not the only one and that a fix will be coming. I just need to be patient.
Look what I made
With all the Wordle craze, I of course blogged about it earlier but also created a Wakelet of all the Wordle clones I could find. Once created, I’ve been adding to it daily, it seems. I guess it’s presumptuous to think I could do it all in one session. It certainly has taken the online world by storm.
My collection is available here: https://wke.lt/w/s/BuvP40
Update – May 15: Up to 56 entries.
Video of the Week
The big news this morning was a tornado touching down in Gaylord, Michigan. Holy cow!
Photo of the Week
Woodpecker at work in the side yard.
Thanks for reading.
Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting for you. I honestly and truthfully appreciate your few moments reading my thoughts. Time willing, this summary appears every Sunday afternoon.
This blog post was originally posted at:
3 thoughts on “My Week Ending 2022-05-22”