Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week. They’re posted to the blog daily under the title OTR Links.
- Whoops! What if you gave a party and everyone came – that’s what Queen’s University is afraid of with some mis-mailed acceptances
- An interesting guess about how the Twitter Edit button might work – for those who don’t know how to proofread <grin>
- Web browser – Browser engine – a nice discussion of the difference
- Essex County / Windsor pizza is absolutely the best – neat story about someone ordering $600 of it delivered
- Many Canadians have been fascinated by Jeopardy lately for obvious reasons and here’s a list of the all-time streaks
- Guinness always had interesting world records that people would try to break and now have discontinued some bizarre ones
- Steven Lecce apologizes for participating in the slave auction when he was in university
- A list of some of the Conservative members of Provincial Parliament who got allowances to add to their regular salary
- Some really interesting perspective from some Ontario students who are too young to vote but I’ll bet that they make sure that Mom and Dad know before they vote
- Before you get a new profile picture with that new app, read this and make sure that you know where your personal information is going
- First the Opera browser and now it appears that Edge might be getting a built-in VPN
- Some thoughts about how Essex County might be just ripe for some Conservative MPPs this election
- I thought it this was interesting – Google Extensions arranged in a periodic table fashion. I’ll probably blog about it some time this week
- Another Google thing – this time it’s Google Translate with 8 new Indian languages
Blog Posts on
doug — off the record
My daily contributions to this blog are linked below. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending May 8, 2022
- Monday – BoycottTimHortons
- Tuesday – The importance of eye contact
- Wednesday – The good old days
- Thursday – My iPods
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – Graduations
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … ?
#FollowFriday – May 13, 2022
This Week in Ontario Edublogs is a blog post/show/podcast that features great writing from Ontario Edubloggers. Stephen Hurley and I use their writing as the basis for a conversation.
- Sue Bruyns – @sbruyns
- Marie Snyder – @MarieSnyder27
- Matthew Morris – @callmemrmorris
- Will Gourley – @WillGourley
- Heather Donnelly – @TESLOntario
- Laura Wheeler – @wheeler_laura
- Marc Hodgkinson – @Mr_H_Teacher
This week’s show:
All of the shows are archived here. The show is broadcast LIVE almost every Wednesday morning at 8:45 on voicEd Radio and is downloadable as a podcast later.
I think I have a solution for the problem that I had with Shareaholic that I checked in with last week in this section.
I went into the configuration and it was using bit.ly as a link when sharing.
I changed it to Shareaholic’s own proprietary link sharing utility and it seems to be working reliably now. Why? I have no idea.
Look what I made
With all the Wordle craze, I of course blogged about it earlier but also created a Wakelet of all the Wordle clones I could find. Once created, I’ve been adding to it daily, it seems. I guess it’s presumptuous to think I could do it all in one session. It certainly has taken the online world by storm
My collection is available here: https://wke.lt/w/s/BuvP40
Update – May 15: Up to 56 entries.
Video of the Week
If you’re a lifelong learner, you watch things like this for that one tip you might not know.
Photo of the Week
The Boy and me. Don’t let his hat fool you. We’re the same height.
Thanks for reading.
Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting for you. I honestly and truthfully appreciate your few moments reading my thoughts. Time willing, this summary appears every Sunday afternoon.
This blog post was originally posted at: