Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week. They’re posted to the blog daily under the title OTR Links.
- Buying a used car used to be so easy but there’s a lot to look at these days
- If you’re a General Amherst General, here’s a last chance to look through the school – my daughter didn’t know that they had a rifle range
- I thought that this was interesting – a phone without Google and it’s no surprise that it comes from Germany
- The big news is social media – Elon Musk buys Twitter
- Brave’s own search engine uses crowdsourcing and discussion to make searching there better for you
- A rational move by our friends at the TVDSB – keep those masks on
- Facebook apparently might start blocking news – I could recommend a number of news sources they could block – I’ve done it already
- If you’re a lover of maps and reading them and discovering things and perspective – there’s so much to do with a map
- A feel-good post about a student, social media, and a fund raiser for Ukraine
- This is such a powerful message about the dangers of gossiping about students in the staff room – a good reminder for all
- The 55th anniversary of this classic – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Itb17PXvw
- Binary to Decimal is a topic in every Computer Science course – I wonder how many times I’ve written a conversion program
- What a wonderful gesture from this police officer
- This was interesting – I’ve known of the value of Direct X for years but never really knew what it was, just that I had to have it
Blog Posts on
doug — off the record
My daily contributions to this blog are linked below. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending April 24, 2022
- Monday – Road Trip!
- Tuesday – Instantly more productive
- Wednesday – I’m staying
- Thursday – What’s in a name
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – VoteThemAllOut
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … ?
#FollowFriday – April 29, 2022
This Week in Ontario Edublogs is a blog post/show/podcast that features great writing from Ontario Edubloggers. Stephen Hurley and I use their writing as the basis for a conversation.
- Paul McGuire – @mcguirp
- Melanie White – @WhiteRoomRadio
- Diana Maliszewski – @MzMollyTl
- Jessica Outram – @jessicaoutram
- Brad Hughes – @brad_hughes
- Amanda Potts – @Ahpotts
- Association for Media Literacy – @A_M_L_
This week’s show:
All of the shows are archived here. The show is broadcast LIVE almost every Wednesday morning at 8:45 on voicEd Radio and is downloadable as a podcast later.
There was big news today about multiple vulnerabilities in the Chromium Browser. The problem is that it just isn’t Chromium and Google Chrome. It also means updating your copies of Edge, Brave, Vivaldi, Opera, and whatever Chromium based browser you’re using.
Look what I made
With all the Wordle craze, I of course blogged about it earlier but also created a Wakelet of all the Wordle clones I could find. Once created, I’ve been adding to it daily, it seems. I guess it’s presumptuous to think I could do it all in one session. It certainly has taken the online world by storm
My collection is available here: https://wke.lt/w/s/BuvP40
Update – April 30: Up to 52 entries.
Video of the Week
If you’re a lifelong learner, you watch things like this for that one tip you might not know.
Photo of the Week
I used this photo last week. These two return every year. After I posted the picture, we haven’t seen them. I wonder if they’re now nesting?
Thanks for reading.
Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting for you. I honestly and truthfully appreciate your few moments reading my thoughts. Time willing, this summary appears every Sunday afternoon.
This blog post was originally posted at: