Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week. They’re posted to the blog daily under the title OTR Links.
- This is not a good report if you’re an umpire – people are watching and caring
- I find it amazing that people are still not buckling up – just watch one episode of Heavy Rescue 401 – the OPP tell us who is most likely not to
- If you need more than 40 minutes for your video conferencing, here are some alternatives to Zoom
- COVID is NOT over. Over 1300 people are hospitalized in Ontario
- The lady being pushed off the subway platform in Toronto was so scary to think of and they caught the person who did it
- Some end of the year templates for your use
- The Brave browser bypasses Google’s AMP
- If you need more photoediting than the traditional tools in your OS, here’s a listing of the best for 2022
- If you’re not fussy about the crowded interface of YouTube, you might want to try one of these alternatives
- Three beautiful versions of “When You Say Nothing At All” by Keith Whitley and Allison Krauss
- The big Hudson’s Bay Company building in Winnipeg is transferred to First Nations to be repurposed as housing
- It is a sad day for hockey everywhere with the passing of Guy Lafleur
- I wonder what Elan Musk feels about this?
- This is amazing. For me, Firefox and Linux have been hand in hand but now Firefox has been replaced in one distro? Has hell frozen over?
Blog Posts on
doug — off the record
My daily contributions to this blog are linked below. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending April 17, 2022
- Monday – Forcing security
- Tuesday – Still waiting
- Wednesday – Protecting yourself
- Thursday – Just reading
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – Another Peace playlist
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … ?
#FollowFriday – April 22, 2022
This Week in Ontario Edublogs is a blog post/show/podcast that features great writing from Ontario Edubloggers. Stephen Hurley and I use their writing as the basis for a conversation.
- Sheila Stewart – @SheilaSpeaking
- Gonul Turkdogan – @turkdogan_gonul
- Rolland Chidiac – @rchids
- Charles Pascal – @CEPascal
- Ann Marie Luce – @turnmeluce
- Aviva Dunsiger – @avivaloca
- David Petro – @davidpetro314
This week’s show:
All of the shows are archived here. The show is broadcast LIVE almost every Wednesday morning at 8:45 on voicEd Radio and is downloadable as a podcast later.
I like to play word games and my morning routine involves Wordle, WordHurdle, Canuckle, and Crazy Phrase. Later, if I have time I’ll play Octordle, Quordle, and Dohdle.
Using the Vivaldi browser, the backspace key functions differently from any other browser and does a page back instead of a backspace one character.
Fortunately, Vivaldi is so configurable!
Look what I made
With all the Wordle craze, I of course blogged about it earlier but also created a Wakelet of all the Wordle clones I could find. Once created, I’ve been adding to it daily, it seems. I guess it’s presumptuous to think I could do it all in one session. It certainly has taken the online world by storm
My collection is available here: https://wke.lt/w/s/BuvP40
Update – April 22: Up to 51 entries.
Video of the Week
If you ever had the desire to be a hacker…
Photo of the Week
A few years ago, these two showed up in our backyard and they come back every year. They seem to like the dropping from the bird feeder.
Thanks for reading.
Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting for you. I honestly and truthfully appreciate your few moments reading my thoughts. Time willing, this summary appears every Sunday afternoon.
This blog post was originally posted at: