Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week. They’re posted to the blog daily under the title OTR Links.
- Now kids and gamers in Russia are feeling the pain as Minecraft is removed from the Russian software stores
- The Queen is moving and it’s big news
- With all the cuts to working in Russia, technology is a biggy – here’s at least a partial list of what companies have
- This is a fascinating thought about elearning and why kids don’t turn their cameras on – schools and teachers may have got it all wrong
- I haven’t rolled up the rim in Chatham for two years now but apparently there are all kinds of people who are and made it the roll up capital
- News about the revision to the Science curriculum in the province was revealed here and Coding made the story
- I don’t normally get excited about browser updates but I’ll be honest; I’m curious to see what happens to the web when Chrome 100 comes out
- Unfortunately, kids won’t be in school in Ontario tomorrow to enjoy Pi Day but you could do these activities yourself
- Not everyone is in favour of the Premier lifting the mask requirements in schools when did – right after so many people have vacationed in the US – why not wait another 10 days?
- If you bookmark one cartoon for use in your class to demonstrate so much about empathy, this is the one
- I’ve been in many a meeting where the leader could benefit from reading this article about how to make the meeting better
- When we’re out and about, it’s a bonus to see a hawk or eagle and now there’s a special platform for them
- I would actually use a search engine created by the former US president if even for the entertainment value and then switch back to another for unfiltered results that would appear even better
- C’mon people – it’s not that bad. You could always pay big bucks and get a full editing suite but in a Tiktok, Instagram world, Clipchamp is enough to make you short video
Blog Posts on
doug — off the record
My daily contributions to this blog are linked below. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending March 6, 2022
- Monday – A pleasant rabbit hole
- Tuesday – A chance to rethink
- Wednesday – Fixing the price of gas
- Thursday – Coding in Ontario
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – Professional learning
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … ?
#FollowFriday – March 11, 2022
This Week in Ontario Edublogs is a blog post/show/podcast that features great writing from Ontario Edubloggers. Stephen Hurley and I use their writing as the basis for a conversation.
- Beth Lyons – @mrslyonslibrary
- Laura Elliott – @lauraelliottPhD
- Nilmini Ratwatte Henstridge – @NRatwatte
- Gary Stewart
- Rolland Chidiac – @rchids
- Jennifer Casa-Todd – @jcasatodd
- David Petro – @davidpetro314
This week’s show:
Last Wednesday’s show…
All of the shows are archived here. The show is broadcast LIVE almost every Wednesday morning at 8:45 on voicEd Radio and is downloadable as a podcast later.
This is a solution so simple and yet it took a while.
When I’m out walking, I use my iPod connected via Bluetooth to my Jabra earbuds. When I return, I put the earbuds in their case. That is supposed to disconnect the connection.
However, the iPod doesn’t think so always and there will be times when it’s still thinking it’s connected. Why is that a problem? Because it drains the battery. Since it’s intermittent, it’s even more of a pain.
My simple solution – I just turn off Bluetooth when I’m not using it. You’d think that Apple products would work better than that but mine isn’t for some reason.
Look what I made
With all the Wordle craze, I of course blogged about it earlier but also created a Wakelet of all the Wordle clones I could find. Once created, I’ve been adding to it daily, it seems. I guess it’s presumptuous to think I could do it all in one session. It certainly has taken the online world by storm
My collection is available here: https://wke.lt/w/s/BuvP40
Update – March 13: Up to 43 entries.
Video of the Week
I may be in that group. I know that I’ve been different. In particular, I hate the mindset that everyone I’m in contact with might be infected.
Photo of the Week
We went on a daytrip, price of gas be damned. One of our favourite destinations is Erieau which is so unique. Here’s a picture of my walking buddy and the lighthouse at the end of the pier which shows the value of a pier. On the right (west), Lake Erie was wild. In the channel, things were so smooth. It was SO cold that I refused to take off my gloves as we got closer to the lighthouse.
Thanks for reading.
Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting for you. I honestly and truthfully appreciate your few moments reading my thoughts. Time willing, this summary appears every Sunday afternoon.
This blog post was originally posted at: