Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week. They’re posted to the blog daily under the title OTR Links.
- How to upgrade to Windows 11 if you can’t wait. I’m just going to wait; I’m very happy with Windows 10
- I suspect that we’ve all seen things that aren’t quite there in Google Maps and I understand why. But, God’s guitar pick had me interested
- This just floored. Apple releases a $19 polishing cloth – $25 Canadian. I bet you don’t order two
- I totally understand the need for this. Years ago when I actually used an iPad, I bought an external keyboard that also served as a kickstand
- Here’s the scoop – why Doug Ford stopped taking French lessons – or at least the excuse given for doing so
- This was news to me – I didn’t know that Microsoft Teams had a wiki tool available
- This is a good checklist of questions to ask yourself if you’re in the market for a new laptop
- If you’re using the Brave browser, you may have experimented with their search engine; now it’s going to be the default
- This is great news for delivery drivers – no more peeing at the side of the road
- One of the most productive things that I ever did for myself is learn how to have more than one desktop on my computer – here’s how it’s done in Windows 10
- Ontario isn’t the only place that messed up on license plates; check out what happened in Ohio
- A Cardboard Challenge – something that should find its way into many classrooms
- A cool use for a drone – checking out the light from the greenhouses in Essex County
- Great parenting advice for parents and maybe as a result, they’ll start to enjoy Mathematics until school ruins it
Blog Posts on
doug — off the record
My daily contributions to this blog are linked below. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending October 17, 2021
- Weekly summary of things around here
- Monday – Great television
- An infographic that took a lot of time to enjoy
- Tuesday – Return to Sunday
- How things are kind of getting back to normal around here
- Wednesday – A name
- Our new high school now has a name
- Thursday – Stay tuned
- Google now has a guitar tuner
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- A review of seven recent blog posts from Ontario Educators
- Saturday – Not this year
- I’m not buying a highly priced MacBook Pro – thoughts why
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … ?
- A weekly fun post to try to get you to reflect on things and share your thoughts
#FollowFriday – October 22, 2021
This is a mostly weekly radio conversion with Stephen Hurley on voicEd Radio where we talk about some recent writing from Ontario Education bloggers. It turns into a Friday blog post. Here are the people you need to be following.
- Cameron Steltman – @MrSteltman
- Jennifer Casa-Todd – @JCasaTodd
- Charles Pascal – @cepascal
- Anthony Perrotta – @aperrottatweets
- Diana Maliszewski – @MzMollyTL
- Dave Frazer – @teslontario
- David Petro – @davidpetro314
This week’s show:
All of the shows are archived here. The show is broadcast LIVE almost every Wednesday morning at 8:45 on voicEd Radio.
This wasn’t a recent trouble to shoot but one that I had to work through as the curating tool that I had been using went to a paid subscription. Surely, there would be something free.
Wakelet came on the scene and I love it. This week, they offered an online course and a test to become Wakelet Certified. The course is available here.
Upon conclusion, I got this cool badge.
Video of the Week
Well, that solves that.
Photo of the Week
Sunset! Jaimie and I had just returned from our evening walk and I saw this fabulous ending of the day and grabbed it with my phone.
Thanks for reading.
Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting for you. I honestly and truthfully appreciate your few moments reading my thoughts. Time willing, this summary appears every Sunday afternoon.
This blog post was originally posted at: