Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week. They’re posted to the blog daily under the title OTR Links.
- Reports are that a lot of people turned to voting by mail this election
- Lily Tomlins is an incredible musician and she really took on the telephone companies in her skits
- It was an article, to be sure, but even I could have guessed what a green leaf means in Google Maps
- Speeding tickets for the long weekend. I’m sure that I could do a bigger number if they gave me a cruiser
- This is a sad and very serious story about the sexual assault allegations at the University of Western Ontario
- Funny and clever teachers – sure, why not?
- The University of Toronto has problems with physical distancing but let’s face it – no school was ever built with this is mind
- This is an interesting piece about the Vivaldi web browser and the fact that it isn’t open source
- The report is that the Ontario vaccine passport might have problems – the cynic in me can’t wonder if this isn’t by purpose
- I feel sorry for these people and their wedding but how cool is it that Alan Doyle showed up?
- This is pretty depressing. Ontario had a whack of money to spend on the defeat of the virus and elected not to spend it
- The title is a bit misleading – if you knew that you had COVID, you could have voted in advance. Now, you can’t vote
- A nice collection of web applications that can replace installing others on your computer
- A top 5 list – this time introducing whiteboard applications that work with Microsoft Teams
Blog Posts on
doug — off the record
My daily contributions to this blog are linked below. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending September 12, 2021
- Weekly summary of things around here
- Monday – Avoidance
- Just where are these politicians?
- Tuesday – A different voting experience
- Our trip to the advanced polls
- Wednesday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Advance notice of the nighttime show
- Thursday – Election activities
- Math and programming current events
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- My weekly look at seven blog posts from around the province
- Saturday – Don’t forget
- Thoughts about that conference swag
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … ?
- A weekly fun post to try to get you to reflect on things and share your thoughts
#FollowFriday – September 17, 2021
We had a special evening edition of This Week in Ontario Edublogs. Sue Bruyns, Jen Aston, and Cal Armstrong were able to join us.
- Pav Wander – @PavWander
- Sue Bruyns – @sbruyns
- Jen Aston – @mmejaston
- Jonathan So – @mrsoclassroom
- Cal Armstrong – @sig225
- Terry Green – @greeneterry
- Edugals – @Edugals
This week’s show:
All of the shows are archived here. The show is broadcast LIVE almost every Wednesday morning at 8:45 on voicEd Radio.
I’m really good about plugging my phone in to let it charge over night.
The problem is that there is something with my cable. It only charges when inserted in one direction. There are times that I have been good about plugging it in and wake up to find that it was wrong and didn’t charge. This morning I had 9% of a battery left.
I think I need a new cable.
Video of the Week
As if the vaccine situation wasn’t strange enough, we decide to change their names.
Photo of the Week
On a walk along the dike near Lake Erie, I caught the sun going down in the west. If you look carefully, you can see a lake freighter, the Fermi II towers, and some sort of hair that was on the lens.
Thanks for reading.
Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting for you. I honestly and truthfully appreciate your few moments reading my thoughts. Time willing, this summary appears every Sunday afternoon.
This blog post was originally posted at: