Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week. They’re posted to the blog under the title OTR Links.
- Going door to door or neighbourhood to neighbourhood to deliver vaccinations may be what’s ultimately required as done in the Waterloo region
- Casinos are a popular place to go for an outing – a new one opened in Pickering
- Good news for those who absolutely, positively have to make GIF files on their Chromebook
- I’m embarrassed to admit this but I did buy into some of these technology failures. Don’t hate me
- This is probably old news now but I’ll link to the back to school plan for Ontario once again here
- From one year of living in Toronto, I’ll vouch for the fact that there are way more than one confusing intersections there. Here’s how they fixed one of them anyway
- Recommendation about how to use the word “black“
- Not surprisingly, parents and teachers wanted a better plan for back to school than what the government delivered
- Bookmark this list of 170 hypothetical questions – for the school year, there’s enough there to get kids talking and problem solving daily
- I switched to DuckDuckGo a long time ago but still enjoy reading reviews of it – they affirm I made a good decision
- This is spectacular news for the residents and students of Pelee Island – they’ll soon be connected, probably with better internet access than a lot of others
- You don’t have to pay a lot of money to get great software; there’s a great collection of things available for free
- An interesting opinion piece about attendance at school during COVID times and whether it will continue in the future
- This should be mandated right across the province – after all, we have the Sunshine list so why not vaccination rates in schools?
Blog Posts on
doug — off the record
My daily contributions to this blog are linked below. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending August 1, 2021
- Weekly summary of things around here
- Monday – First of August
- Lots of names in use for this time of year
- Tuesday – Almost panic time
- Things don’t always go smoothly around here
- Wednesday – Issue resolved
- It was my fault when all was said and done
- Thursday – Drift me some history
- A great resource for Canadian history for your next trip
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- My weekly look at seven blog posts from around the province
- Saturday – The lost summer
- July has come and gone and it was August before the promised back to school plan was delivered
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … ?
- A weekly fun post to try to get you to reflect on things and share your thoughts
#FollowFriday – August 6, 2021
Melanie White provided many insights to the blogs we looked at this past week on This Week in Ontario Edublogs as well as contributing one of her own.
- Melanie White – @WhiteRoomRadio
- Ann Marie Luce – @turnmeluce
- Deborah McCallum – @bigideasinedu
- Joel McLean – @jprofNB
- Svjetlana Vrbanic – @lanavrb
- Jennifer Casa-Todd – @jcasatodd
- Paul Gauchi – @PCMalteseFalcon
All of the podcasts are archived here. The show is broadcast LIVE almost every Wednesday morning at 8:45 on voicEd Radio.
My technology troubleshooting this week actually turned into full post.
Video of the Week
The flame just went out in Tokyo and that got me thinking of great flames from the past. (not the girlfriend type)
Photo of the Week
Elizabeth Lyons alerted me to this brewery in Erieau and darn if Sobeys in town didn’t have some to pick up.
Thanks for reading.
Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting for you. I honestly and truthfully appreciate your few moments reading my thoughts. Time willing, this summary appears every Sunday afternoon.
This blog post was originally posted at: