… computer names?
A big shout out to Alfred Thompson for this morning’s topic.
From his original Facebook post, some of his followers had chimed in.
So, why name a computer? Well, I suppose it does humanize it but when you’re managing a network with machines in various places, it’s just a little easier to track them down if they’re named as opposed to their IP address.
I remember when we moved the Bring IT, Together Conference to Niagara Falls with the promise of great internet access sitting in the control booth and the IT Manager gasping when all these educators connected to the network. Not just once, but with multiple devices and so many of them were named.
In our household, I have all the devices named as well. It’s not like we live in a place where I would expect hackers on our wireless but it’s just so impressive to go to the hub and look at the devices that are connected. I see my PC (dougpete), my MacBook Pro (DazedandConfused), my phone (Hacker-dont-trust-me), etc. I can see the network they’re on, their signal strength, their internal IP address (which is actually the identifier for each that really matters), and so much more. I’ve never had to troubleshoot but I could if I wanted to. <grin>
Things are actually not all that dependent on names but typically you’re given the option to name a device when you set it up. So, why not?
So, for a Sunday, your thoughts…
- do you name your devices? do you have any interesting names to share?
- did you put the name on the outside of the computer case?
- if you’re in a school, have you ever watched your technician track down an issue?
- POP QUIZ: What was the name of these computers
- the computer that was in 2001: A Space Odyssey
- the computer that was in 2010: Odyssey Two
- the computer that was a winner in Jeopardy
- the computer that was in the Star Trek Episode “The Return of the Archons”
- the computer was was in the Star Trek Episode “I, Mudd” (bonus is you remember its number)
- the computer from the Doctor Who episode “The Green Death”
- the US computer from “The Forbin Project” (bonus if you remember the Russian computer)
- do you have remembrances of any other computer that appeared in media?
- have you ever discussed computer and artificial intelligence with computer names in class? Why do we personalize these things?
Please share your thoughts in the comments below.
This post appeared on:
If you read it anywhere else, it’s not the original.