Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week.
- Here’s a summary of the COVID-19 protocols for school districts across the province.
- If you look at any major browser’s home website, you’ll find their rationale for why you should use their browser. Here’s Vivaldi’s rationale.
- For those who are teaching online, this is a collection of “Good Morning” templates.
- A history of Fairview Mall in Toronto – an interesting read as we witness the demise of the shopping mall.
- I wonder how many people will be affected by Farmville going away? I never really understood it.
- You don’t read much about the effect of “deep cleaning” on the caretakers in schools. It’s stressful.
- I had to smile at this report that, after the Presidential debate, people were searching for how to get out of town to – New Zealand.
- I had to smile at this report that, after the Presidential debate, people were searching for how to get out of town to – Canada.
- I will admit; I really like the concept of running Android applications on Windows.
- Those in schools are really trying to make all this work. Here’s how an Office Admin felt about it.
- Teacher concerns – their quality of teaching and also their own personal health
- The US President catches the COVID-19 virus. You just knew that it had to happen some time.
- Major League Baseball loses Bob Gibson. Such a loss. I remember him particularly for the World Series against the Detroit Tigers.
- There was a time when the Wikipedia was a four letter word and I worked with a colleague who dissed it at every turn. This is a great article about the other side.
Blog Posts on
doug … off the record
My daily contributions to this blog are linked below. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending September 27, 2020
- Weekly summary of things around here
- Monday – Response to spammers
- Every now and again, I’ll check out the spam on this blog and sometimes am inspired to write a post about it.
- Tuesday – The value of a network
- You really don’t have to live alone online; together we’re smarter
- Wednesday – The worst of social media
- Amber Alerts are good folks; don’t be jerks
- Thursday – A new low
- My thoughts about the Presidential “debate”
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- My weekly look at seven blog posts from around the province
- Saturday – Tracking COVID
- A new feature to Google Maps tracking COVID-19
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … free air?
- A weekly fun post to get you to reflect on things
#FollowFriday – October 2, 2020
On this week’s show, Stephen Hurley and I chatted about learning, dichotomies, Terry Fox, stretching, and Dr. John.
The show is available here: https://voiced.ca/podcast_episode_post/body-breaks-musical-meanderings-photo-stops-and-this-or-that/
- Michelle Fenn – @toadmummy
- Elizabeth Lyons – @MrsLyonsLibrary
- Patti Henderson – @GingerPatti
- Laura Wheeler – @wheeler_laura
- John Hodgkinson – @Mr_H_Teacher
Closing song – celebrating Helen Reddy
All of the podcasts are archived here. The show is broadcast LIVE every Wednesday morning at 9:15 on voicEd Radio.
After watching The Social Dilemma, I’m convinced that I need to do just some random stuff while I’m online.
If nothing else, maybe it will just screw up the results from the algorithms to give the idea that there’s no way they can predict what I’ll do next.
Video of the Week
I was really curious to see how the Enterprise stacked up.
Photo of the Week
From the marina in Leamington, the new Pelee Islander and the old Pelee Islander. I’ve taken the old Pelee Islander to visit Pelee Island Public School. It doesn’t look all that big but it can transport cars and vehicles in its bay. Plus, there’s a restaurant up front. It used to be the backup for the Jiimaan which, at the time of this photo, is located in Kingsville.
The new Pelee Islander almost looks like it could carry the old one inside. I look forward to the day when travel becomes easier and I can take the new boat over to the island.
Thanks for reading.
Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting for you. I honestly and truthfully appreciate your few moments reading my thoughts. Time willing, this summary appears every Sunday afternoon.
This blog post was originally posted at:
If you find it anywhere else, it’s not original.