Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week.
- If you’re afraid of snakes, you might want to steer clear of London, Ontario.
- This is not good news if you’re ready to open schools and you’ve bought into the concept that students won’t be spreading the virus.
- We all love the Royals and royal weddings. Certainly, they’re different these days but you have to have pictures.
- I’m surprised that Google Chrome didn’t already block you from filling in insecure forms. It seems like a simple thing to implement.
- Forget being misunderstood because of an accent. Sometimes, there are words that you can’t pronounce at all.
- I hadn’t thought about this but, out of courtesy, I think that we all should adopt this protocol.
- I think this is a natural reaction of any truck driver ordered to drive into the United States. Safety should be the primary concern for everyone.
- I installed my first version of Linux (Ubuntu) after an ISTE conference in San Diego. I think the year was 2004 2005. It was easy then, it’s easy now. I held my breath when I chose to dual boot but there wasn’t a hitch. Linux has been installed here ever since.
- Here’s a collection of coding projects for kids that I think will be guaranteed to inspire.
- Normally, a bomb found at or near an airport would be a big deal. But, the finds near Pearson just generated a news story.
- I couldn’t visualize this either so had to look at the picture in the article and I can see why it went viral.
- I’m guessing that we’re all a little paranoid these days but that doesn’t give you an excuse for dropping your guard against phishers.
- Who could forget the back to school “it’s the most wonderful time of the year” adverts? Things are different this year.
- This is a very long and interesting article that will leave you interesting and giving your pet a once over.
- Some of my best friends are librarians. Here’s an article about eight of them and why they chose that as a career choice.
- I’m afraid to pay the big bucks for wireless earbuds because I just know that I’ll lose them. Here are some affordable options.
- Doug Ford is OK for teaching outside. I suppose that might work for some. Let’s hope for a dry September.
- Mine finds his way home because he’s never left off his leash. This article offers a solution in case he ever does.
- This is a sentiment that all teachers have. Just what the hell is the plan? Supposedly, Ontario finds out this upcoming week. Or maybe the week after that.
Blog Posts on
doug … off the record
My daily contributions to this blog are linked below. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending July 19, 2020
- Monday – Buffalo Blue Jays
- Tuesday – Learning about masks
- Wednesday – Learning about hand sanitizer
- Thursday – Learning about people
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – Learning about teaching
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … liquor orders?
#FollowFriday – July 24, 2020
This week on voicEd Radio with guest Noa Daniel, Stephen Hurley and I chatted about experts, PLNs, learning, looking forward, and mathematics.
Listen here: Stephen hadn’t posted the link to the show as of this writing.
All of the podcasts are archived here.
Blog posts this week came from:
- Noa Daniel – @noasbobs
- Diana Maliszewski – @MzMollyTL
- Stepan Pruchnicky – @stepanpruch
- Beth Lyons – @MrsLyonsLibrary
- Kyle Pearce – @mathletepearce
- Jon Orr – @MrOrr_geek
This week, I learned that my new microphone has two settings for getting its sound.
Apparently, I had it on the wrong one when I recorded This Week in Ontario Edublogs!
The power had gone out here due to the storms and I’m guessing that the default setting isn’t the one I want.
Lesson learned and I’ll be checking in the future.
Video of the Week
In preparation for This Week in Ontario Edublogs, I had to find a link to Stevie Wonder’s Sir Duke in honour of guest host Noa Daniel.
Then, I wondered what people ranked his best ever song. According to Ranker, this is it. Not a bad choice at all.
Photo of the Week
Just lying under a tree looking up. I was so impressed with the quality from my little phone.
Thanks for reading.
Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting for you. Time willing, this summary appears every Sunday afternoon.
This blog post was originally posted at:
If you find it anywhere else, it’s not original.