Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week.
- If you ever needed a scientific reason to wash your hands, here’s one. Science rules.
- If you’re unhappy with your programming experience in Python, it might be because of the editor that you’re using. Here are some alternatives.
- I’m glad that I got my lifeguarding years in as a high school and university student. I’d hate to be replaced by a robot.
- It’s hard not to smirk at the decision to go back to white backgrounds on Ontario license plates when we all heard the minister refer to them as Liberal plates.
- I don’t own AirPods or AirPods Pro. Quite frankly, they look kind of goofy. But, here’s the difference between these expensive ear pieces.
- I was surprised to read this. I would have thought that the government would have had the best IT infrastructure but apparently not.
- Lots of negative things to read about Windows 10 these days. Knock wood but I haven’t experienced issues lately. Nonetheless, this is filed under “I might need to do this someday”.
- I was excited to read about this tool but it’s not new to me. I’ve been using it for quite some time – from DuckDuckGo.
- I totally agree that mandatory e-learning will be an issue. Even those who select e-learning as an option aren’t always successful.
- That Google did this should come as no surprise. In fact, of all the companies in the world, you’d think that they’d be in the best position to make working from home work.
- There will be a class of retirements from teaching in 2020. Here are some tips for the first day.
- It’s always a good story when the bad guys get caught in the act. A big malware ring taken down by Microsoft in this story.
- I know the title says that you shouldn’t do it but I did read the things, guessed, and then tried a few. I didn’t have the interest to do all 24 though.
- A tip of the hat has to go to Microsoft, Google, and Zoom for all their efforts to make working from home possible.
- I’m not sure that I would think being enclosed in an elevator and then shot to the top of the CN Tower is a good idea even at the best of times. Call me chicken – or at least afraid of heights.
- I’ll be the first one to confess that, if I ever lost the password to my Password manager, I’d be lost. I might as well get rid of all my technology.
Blog Posts on
doug … off the record
My daily contributions to this blog. If you’re looking for a week in review for doug–off the record, you came to the right place.
- Sunday – My Week Ending March 8, 2020
- Monday – You knew it had to happen
- Tuesday – Staying organized
- Wednesday – AI and marking
- Thursday – You’ve gotta feel sorry for …
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – Get the best advice
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … desktop and tower computers?
#FollowFriday – March 13, 2020
This week on voicEd Radio, Stephen Hurley and I chatted about Awards, Equity, Innovative Things, Recording, and Libraries.
This week’s show – https://voiced.ca/podcast_episode_post/march-11-awards-equity-spring-and-canadian-books-and-more/
All of the podcasts are archived here.
Blog posts this week came from:
- Alanna King – @banana29
- Mark Chubb – @MarkChubb3
- Will Gourley – @WillGourley
- Diana Maliszewski – @MzMollyTL
- Beth Lyons – @mrslyonslibrary
My Chromebook saga continues for yet another week!
Despite a couple of upgrades, the unit fails to return to laptop move when I switch to tablet mode and back.
I can avoid the problem now but logging out and back in. For the majority of the Android apps I use, I just use them in laptop orientation.
It’s just not the same.
Video of the Week
Photo of the Week
This was a screen capture from Beth Lyons’ blog post from TWIOE. I ran across it three times this past week. It’s a powerful message for all of us.
Thanks for reading. Please join me daily for something new and, hopefully, interesting.
This blog post was originally posted at:
If you find it anywhere else, it’s not original.