Happy Groundhog Palindrome Day.
This popped up on my mp3 player…
We saw Belleville’s Amanda and The Wilkinsons at the Harrow Fair a few years ago. It was a great concert and we’ve bought a bunch of their music, including Amanda’s single efforts since.
Anyway, that’s my provocation for this post.
Growing up in a small town, we had one dealership. It was a Chevrolet/Oldsmobile one. Our family vehicles were purchased from the used car lot across the road. I think that the biggest appeal for my dad was the fact that he worked just down the street and so could easily drop it off for an oil change. To look at Pontiacs, you actually had to drive to Goderich where there was a Pontiac/Buick dealership. There was always the sense that those were a more expensive product line even though each built cars on the same frame.
This past summer, my wife and I happened to go to a car show and we saw the dream car of my youth. It was a Pontiac GTO, really well restored and decked out. As a teenager, I always thought that I should have a powerful car. After all, my cousin had a Corvette. Alas, it wasn’t to be. The practicalities of life lead to more reasonable cars, hitting bottom when we had kids and moved into the minivan world. I’ll confess that I really enjoyed my Chevrolet Impala with its landau roof during my university years. Alas, with only two doors, it was the first casualty of me aging.
As we know, General Motors decided to drop the Pontiac brand two decades ago! There went my dreams of a new GTO which might have returned since the oil crisis had come and gone. On the other hand, there still remains a possibility for a
For a Sunday, your thoughts…
- Did you ever own a Pontiac vehicle? If so, which one?
- Would the product name survive in today’s society when we’re concerned about the use of First Nations’ names on products? Before you respond, consider that there is one in the Super Bowl later today.
- What was your first vehicle? (Mine was a Chev Pickup truck which was also branded with a First Nations’ name)
- What’s your current vehicle?
- What was/is your favourite vehicle of all time?
- If you won a lottery, would you buy a new car? If so, what would you buy?
Do you have any vehicle thoughts? As always, I’d enjoy reading them in the comments.
This post appears on:
If you read it anywhere else, it’s not the original.