… ribbon cables?
It always takes me a couple of days to reset up everything when I’m returning from a conference. Like most people, I suspect, I have cables everywhere. Speakers, charging cables, external monitor, USB extender, …
But as I was reconnecting and redoing the velcro cable wraps, there was one cable that I didn’t have to attach – the old ribbon cable for my printer.
Actually, I haven’t had to do that for a number of years. It’s been that long since I had a parallel printer. But, I certainly do remember the process of setup; the cable actually attached to the bottom of my computer and then to the back of the printer.
I remember the cable as being very fragile. At work, we had to replace more than one since all that it took was a crimp and the cable had to be replaced. It was fun though for playing around with the hardware since you could address each of the individual pins to do things. For the most part, we would play around with the content that we’d send to the printer.
Of course, you don’t see these things for sale any more. (At least in the circles that I run) We’ve moved to USB printing or to attaching the printer to the network with an Ethernet cable.
For a Sunday, your thoughts…
- Have you ever owned a parallel port printer?
- Have you ever had to replace a broken cable?
- What kind of printer do you regularly use at home now? I have a Lexmark printer that also doubles as a scanner.
- I can’t remember the last time I actually printed to the printer. It probably was for an airplane boarding pass years ago. Today’s problem include dried out printer ink. When was the last time you used a printer?
- Does your printer have faxing capabilities?
- If you’re like me, is it easier to put what I need on a USB key and go to the drug store to print?
- Have you ever emailed yourself a document so that you could print it at school?
Please take a moment to share your printing thoughts. Can we judge your age by your use of paper? <grin> Answer in the comments below
This post appeared originally on:
If you read it anywhere else, it’s not the original.
Please share your thoughts here. I’d enjoy reading them.