… Bozo the Clown?
A friend of mine shared this story recently:
Of course, the worst of social media kicked in with people noting that the article was over a year ago.
The name “Frank Avruch” didn’t ring a bell but certainly “Bozo the Clown” did. Long ago, in the days before cable television, there was an antenna on the top of our house and if the weather was right, we could get CKLW-TV from Windsor and Bozo was there on Saturday or Sunday mornings. (Or maybe both, I can’t recall exactly.) I do recall that it was extra special when we got a chance to watch the show. It wasn’t on our reliable CBC and CTV channels.
I did some poking around and found out that Bozo was actually a syndication and he was everywhere.
Scroll to the bottom of the entry to see all the places.
What a franchise!
In addition to hosting the show and introducing cartoons, there were all of the stupid gags that were done. And who could forget that red hair pointing east and west.
This was in the days when clowns were generally “good”. As we know, there have been many clowns that have made the movies and television that weren’t so good. And in real life too.
So, for a Sunday morning, let’s clown around.
- Do you remember Bozo the Clown from your youth?
- In addition to the show, there were all kinds of Bozo branded products. I remember a friend had a Bozo punching bag. Do you know of any other Bozo branded stuff?
- There were other famous clowns who happened to be villains. There is only one Cesar Romero though. Where did he play a clown? What other actors played the same role? If you’re a real fan you know that his face wasn’t makeup but caused by something else. Do you remember what it was?
- There was another Bozo-like clown that was a major product spokesclown. Who was that? Whatever happened to him?
- People either love or hate clowns. I like them; my wife hates them. Where do you stand?
- Are there enough people that hate them that you don’t see them at fairs or carnivals anymore?
- Are they evil?
- He also generated the ultimate kiddy insult “You’re such a bozo!” Did you ever use that phrase? (Will you now?)
As always, I’d love to read your thoughts in the replies below.
If you have an idea for a topic for a Sunday post, let me know. Just add it to this Padlet.
This post originally appeared on:
If you find it anywhere else, it’s not the original.