… steamer trunks?
Thanks to Sheila Stewart and her husband for this suggestion.
My husband and I were discussing if we should keep our old steamer trunk (not sure what happened to mine, but the one we have is his). Then we wondered when/why people stopped travelling with them and then I wondered if you would like it for topic for “whatever happened to…”. I took one on the train for my second year at univ. Was it air travel or the use of suitcases that really changed the use of them? We store stuff in ours now and display pictures on it. Any memories/interest for you?
And, of course, it has memories for this old movie fan.
In the movies, there seemed to be two ways that people travelled. The very poor jumped onto trains as they slowed down or stopped in small communities. If they were taking clothes of things with them, they were put into bags and thrown onto the train as they jumped on board.
The very rich travelled by cruise ship and had their fancy clothes and belongings packed into a “steamer trunk” and typically had two people working for the ship lines who would carry it on board for them.
For the rest of the population (where we probably fall), carrying clothes never seemed to be an issue or something that made it into any movie that I recall.
Inspired by Sheila’s suggestion, I’ll admit that I was quite surprised that they are still a thing and can be purchased. Walmart.com’s collection can be found here. There doesn’t seem to be anything on walmart.ca though.
And, my brother and I actually had one of these. No, we weren’t world travellers. Somehow our family had one and we used it to store our comic books. It never went travelling during our time owning it!
Nowadays, trunks like this – well worn – are the type of things that show up at flea markets or antique shows. I can’t think of where I’d seen them anywhere else. So, Sheila and husband, you might have something that might be of value.
For a Sunday, your thoughts…
- do you own a steamer trunk?
- did you own one in your past?
- was Sheila right? Did airplanes kill the steamer trunk?
- the modern equivalent would be the suitcase, a common university or wedding gift. They come in sets which always seems like overkill. We had a set of four but only ever used one, maybe two of the cases. Do you own and use a complete set of suitcases?
- for a long time now, suitcases have come with wheels to make bringing them with you easier. Do you have a suitcase with wheels? Do they change your opinion of escalators?
- I suspect that those people who still have a steamer trunk use them for purposes other than the original. Do you have one and what do you use it for?
Please share your thoughts in the comments below. Don’t worry about dating yourself; I certainly did.
Got an idea for a future post? Send it to me. We all have great memories to relive.
This post appeared on:
If you read it anywhere else, it’s not the original.