Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Below are a selected few, with commentary, from the past week.
- Every time I find a story talking about school libraries, I end up sharing them. To get rid of a library is incredibly short-sighted. Getting rid of a school librarian is even worse.
- Even paranoids have enemies, I guess. It’s nothing these days to try to connect to a wireless access point and see a lot of them available. You need to find the one that’s appropriate for you and then consider using a VPN.
- Unfortunately, many stories like this talk about the concept like it’s a new thing. If you’ve ever gone to school, you know that teachers have always embraced this concept.
- This announcement came out during the CSTA Conference. Google has a number of services that it’s packaged together. My blog readers will recognize many of them because, well, I blog about them!
- Who wouldn’t want to meet Sir Paul McCartney. This Nova Scotia teenager got the chance and it made the news – for a good reason.
- Am I bad to not know that Vaio was still around? I bought one in 2010 and it’s still going strong running Linux.
- Success breeds success and Netflix is the target this time around. How will the industry respond?
- I thought that Apple had ditched the problematic butterfly keyboard but apparently not.
- I’m guessing that people are just jealous that Canadians are too nice and searched to find some statistics to prove that is not a necessarily a good thing.
- This story begs the question – how young is too young when it comes to learning to code?
- This is interesting. A curated list of add-ons from the leader in add-ons, Firefox. Do you have them all?
- And you can’t remove the app. What’s a person to do?
- If you’re in need of a rationale for reading books, here’s one.
Blog Posts on doug … off the record
My daily contributions to this blog.
- Sunday – My Week Ending July 7, 2019
- Monday – Chocolate and Ketchup
- Tuesday – Make a GIF
- Wednesday – A couple of posters
- Thursday – Random thoughts from Phoenix
- Friday –
- Saturday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … the Official Scrabble Dictionary?
#FollowFriday – July 12, 2019
My on demand radio page can be found here.
Opening song this week:
There was no show this week and the blog post came out on Saturday.
Blog posts this week came from:
- @MzMollyTL x 2
I learned about this the hard way.
I was a participant in a Zoom meeting. I had my ear plugs plugged into the computer and decided to go a bit laid back and use my desktop speakers.
When you plug them in, Windows 10 wants to know what kind of thing you just plugged into its port.
My cursor was at the bottom of the screen so I just chose the first one. – headset.
Apparently, it does matter. A headset has both speaker and microphone. Consequently, I had no microphone for the session.
I’m sure that people were appreciative as to how quiet I was.
Lesson learned for the future. Read the screen.
Video of the Week
Photo of the Week
Ever park your car, take the picture so you can find it again, and then wonder why you parked so far away?
This blog post was originally posted at:
If you find it anywhere else, it’s not original.