Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
(You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Here are a selected few from the past week.)
- Do you trust your digital assistant? Here’s a smackdown between a couple of them.
- I’ve had this discussion recently. Without a person championing things and pushing for new and substantial things, it’s easy to pick the low hanging fruit and thinking you’re doing something worthwhile.
- Why math matters is all that it should take to read this article. Four years makes it a thing.
- The Google for Primary students.
- Bookmark this when someone challenges the logic that Chromebooks are “just a browser”. Today’s Chromebook is not your father’s Chromebook. Unless you’re one of my kids.
- This is a wonderful Canadiana story about icebergs and stamps. It’s a great reminder of how rich and diverse we are.
- Bookmark and share this list of growth mindset quotations. They’ll make great quotes for your next presentation.
- I didn’t think that Canadian currency could be counterfeited. But, if there’s a buck (or $0.75) to be made, I guess there are those ready to make it.
- I’m one of the 100 million. I’ve had a number of iPhones and Android devices and file management is always a weak part. This is a great alternative, at least for Android.
- Canada has colourful towns. Take a tour.
- Every credit card company should protect you like this. Once a company auto-renews you, it’s tough to get them to stop.
- Linux with a touchscreen? Yes, please.
- I’m still curious about electric vehicles. I can see them for short jaunts around town but how about a four hour trip? Ford wants to make it available for pickups.
Blog Posts on doug … off the record
- Sunday – My Week Ending January 13, 2019
- Monday – A sketching throwback
- Tuesday – My Week Ending January 13, 2019
- Wednesday – An Interview with Michelle Lagos De Javier
- Thursday – Lousy student jobs
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs
- Saturday – When schools get it right …
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … Major Hoople’s Boarding House
My on demand radio page can be found here.
Opening song this week:
Technology Trouble Shooting
My wife is a happy camper.
As reported here previously, the radio in her Jeep Renegade was a really bad actor in the cold and needed something done to fix it. It has had problems for over a year.
I’m happy to report that we shared another video with the local dealer of it acting up and, as a result, are now in possession of a brand new radio.
So far, so good
Video of the Week
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band are on a farewell tour. Who doesn’t like a good Seger song? Or a bunch of them. I have a collection of records and CDs. Youtube enhances things with live performances and collaborations.
My Favourite Photo of the Week
This is a painting from the lower level of the hotel I stayed at in Phoenix. I was walking by, saw it and my neck snapped back as I looked at it. I know her.
Any guesses? It’s a perfect image of a keynote speaker that we had at the Western RCAC Symposium years ago.
Thanks for reading.
This blog post was originally posted at:
If you find it anywhere else, it’s not original.