Here’s a summary of some of the things I learned and published this week.
(You can follow my daily readings as they happen here. Here are a selected few from the past week.)
- Thank goodness this Facebook scam, the latest, appears to be over. I ended up with a lot of messages from well-intentioned friends. But, they still were annoying. Particularly the first one which had me wondering… And then checking… Three minutes I’ll never have back.
- I suspect that this comic would be applied to being miserable anywhere in Canada but you’d have to do a timeshift to account for the weather. We haven’t had snow here in Southwestern Ontario but it seems like it’s cold enough. It was 3 degrees this morning.
- OK, it’s an opinion piece and I had to really look to understand. Now, I have to wonder just where and when I would use a bagel emoji. It could be a while; I don’t tend to use them even at the best of times. I’ve been around long enough to use 😉 but still use it sparingly.
- I may have to use some of the advice here. Updates to Windows on my tablet have stalled because I don’t have enough memory to upgrade. I just need to find the time and inclination to do it. I’ve made the first step and bought a Micro SD card.
- And here I though red was red. I need to expand my use of the English language.
- Talk to any kindergarten teacher and they’ll tell you the importance of birth date as it applies to most kids. Maybe my own level of mediocrity can be blamed on being born in August.
- I’m still not convinced that I need Google or anything listening to me all the time while I’m at home. But, this is intriguing.
- I just don’t get this. I did follow the link to the document and font in question. My eyes and brain hurt.
- I did know that it had something to do with speed. In case you’ve forgotten like I have, here is how hurricanes are rated. Do you feel better knowing that you were damaged by a higher number?
- Of course, it isn’t. If you had been in my computer science classes, you’d know that I was always assigning problems for solution from a variety of areas. I thought it made programming interesting and relevant. I guess the truth would come out if you checked with my students though.
- Do mental mathematics problems instead. I’m a sucker for problems like these.
- Who doesn’t like sparkles?
- I’m surprised that it’s take this long for a story like this to appear. Union Station has always been old and is currently undergoing a much-needed facelift. Heck, it’s more than that. It’s no surprise that things fall from the ceiling. I hope that this story has a happy ending. Bonus tip: the last time I was in Union Station, there was no wifi in the Via Rail part. But go around the corner and you’ll find it free in the GO area. (As well as a selection of restaurants)
Blog Posts on doug … off the record
- Sunday – My Week Ending October 7, 2018
- Monday – Happy Thanksgiving
- Tuesday – Collecting Content
- Wednesday – Learning from others with Wakelet
- Thursday – Professional Development
- Friday – This Week in Ontario Edublogs, Number 329
- Saturday – @voicEd #twioe Playlist – Weeks 86-90
- Sunday – Whatever happened to … row crop tractors?
Blog Post on ecoo.org
BRING IT, TOGETHER 2018 – The complete schedule is now live. Have you registered? It’s also a reminder of the “Bring IT, Together” concept. Why not bring a group from your school?
My on demand radio page can be found here. The latest edition features blog posts from:
Technology Trouble Shooting
Nobody noticed it but me doing this post.
On Friday, I normally have a post called “This Week in Ontario Edublogs”. Because the title is a running duplicate, WordPress adds a number to the end of it.
When I went searching for the link (and to increment the number), I realized that I had made a mistake in the title of this week’s blog post.
Did you noticed and were just too kind to mention it to me?
So, my count is off.
Actually, now that I found the mistake, I realize that I made the same mistake once before. So, the count was off to begin with.
Should I just say I’ve done a lot of the same post?
Video of the Week
How much do they pay these guys?
My Favourite Photo of the Week
Things that need to be winterized? From a trip to Windsor’s Kiwanis Park.
Thanks for reading.