This article was like an edition of Whatever happened to … run amok!
25 things that happened 20 years ago that will make you feel ancient
Of course with a challenge like that, I had to take the test.
GOOGLE WAS FOUNDED.
- Gulp. I was using Altavista or Dogpile at the time
TITANIC DOMINATED THE OSCARS.
- Great movie
PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON WAS IMPEACHED.
- I learned more about US politics as a result of this one event.
THE FIRST APPLE IMAC CAME OUT.
- Worst. Mouse. Ever. Or, as we called it – hockey puck.
EUROPEANS AGREED ON THE COMMON CURRENCY OF THE EURO.
- I was impressed that so many countries could come together on this concept.
HARRISON FORD WAS NAMED PEOPLE’S SEXIEST MAN ALIVE.
- I understand I wasn’t even in the running.
“THERE’S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY” AND “THE TRUMAN SHOW” HIT THEATERS.
- Passed on both of them.
“SEX AND THE CITY” MADE ITS TV DEBUT.
- I wasn’t a fan.
THE LAST EPISODE OF “SEINFELD” AIRED ON MAY 14, 1998.
- It’s still available in reruns.
PRETTY MUCH EVERYONE HAD A NOKIA 6120.
- I wasn’t one of them. My first mobile phone was a Blackberry.
MP3 PLAYERS WERE ALL THE RAGE.
- I use mine three times a day. Battery life is starting to deteriorate.
BRAD PITT AND JENNIFER ANISTON WERE STILL A THING.
AND PEOPLE WERE STILL TRYING TO ROCK “THE RACHEL” HAIRCUT.
- The photo doesn’t actually look dated.
PEOPLE WERE STILL MAKING TRIPS TO BLOCKBUSTERS.
- It’s how you spent Friday nights with the kids.
BRITNEY RELEASED HER DEBUT SINGLE AND ALBUM “…BABY ONE MORE TIME.”
AND NSYNC ALSO ERUPTED ON THE SCENE WITH “I WANT YOU BACK.”
- I didn’t purchase these but they had a lot of play on the radio.
FRANK SINATRA PASSED AWAY.
- This was sad but his movies are still shown on television.
A TWO-LITER BOTTLE OF COCA COLA COST $0.89.
- That’s certainly not the case today.
BUFFY WAS ONE OF THE COOLEST SHOWS ON TV.
- Things did grind to a halt around here when it was cool.
“HARRY POTTER” MADE ITS US DEBUT (THOUGH THE SECOND BOOK CAME OUT IN THE UK THAT SAME YEAR).
- I never got involved but have a daughter who is a fanatic.
FURBIES — THE MOST UNSETTLING TOYS EVER — WERE RELEASED.
- Yes, definitely creepy. Could you imagine if our current technology was available to use in these devices?
THE DISNEY CHANNEL ORIGINAL MOVIE “HALLOWEENTOWN” PREMIERED.
- Disney definitely does things right.
EVERYONE WAS SINGING ALONG TO BRANDY AND MONICA’S DUET, “THE BOY IS MINE,” WHICH WAS THE SONG OF THE SUMMER.
- I don’t recall this at all.
AMERICAN AIRLINES WAS THE FIRST AIRLINE TO OFFER ELECTRONIC TICKETING IN ALL 44 COUNTRIES IT SERVED IN 1998.
- I can’t imagine the lines we’d have today without this breakthrough.
THE BELLAGIO HOTEL & CASINO IN LAS VEGAS OPENED.
- The whole strip in Las Vegas is completely amazing. Each hotel tries to outdo each other.
That was an interesting trip along memory lane.
Do you have memories?
Please share your thoughts here. I’d enjoy reading them.