- I was an editor/proofreader for this book
- Jennifer bought me a coffee once
OK, now that I’ve got those out of the way, let me tell you a bit about Jennifer Casa-Todd’s book “Social LEADia”.
The release of the book is very timely with the school year beginning next week.
- If you’re a teacher-librarian looking for professional resources for your library, you need to add this book to your collection
- If you’re a principal of a school concerned about doing social media “right” within your school and honouring students/teachers, you need to read this book
- If you’re an educational leader and want to include colleagues in a meaningful book talk about social media, you need to use this book
- If you’re an educator interested in a single resource that addresses the topic of social media and leadership, you need to use this book
Much has been said about social media but Jennifer takes that as given and pushes the reader to consider social media leadership. This is an extremely important concept as she examines what can happen in education as participants move from the passive user to the role of using social media to lead for a cause.
For the beginner, there may not seem to be much of a difference. But it only takes a critical look at society to realize that our present and, indeed, our future will become increasingly dependent upon a judicious use of these tools. Is your school ready? Are your teachers ready? Most importantly, are your students ready?
The book is organized in three sections:
- Why Digital Leadership Matters
- What Digital Leadership Looks Like in Schools
- How We Make Digital Leadership Happen in Schools
You’ll find it a helpful roadmap for all those in education. You can jump in at your own level of comfort and then feel pushed to think critically about your path forward.
Each chapter concludes with a summary and sample questions to push your thinking or to discuss in a book talk. Throughout, Jennifer invites you to meet students who have successfully used social media. Students like this enter your classroom every day; are you prepared for them?
Jennifer offers ongoing support for the book and conversations that it generates on Twitter. Follow the hashtag #socialLEADia.
It will be a valued addition to your resources.