Last year, when Cyndie Jacobs and I agree to co-chair the Bring IT, Together Conference in Niagara Falls, we wanted to take advantage of everything that we could. The Scotiabank Convention Centre is a beautiful facility and was very conducive for the type of learning that technology-using educators need. In no small part, a large, formal exhibit hall let participants experience the latest in technologies that you were either currently using or could reasonably expect to use in the near future.
But we wanted more!
Niagara Falls is such an incredible place to visit and could there be a more social place in Canada? To that end, we built in all kinds of social activities to the event.
It’s so good to know that this year’s committee is committed to bringing back the wonderful events that happen outside the traditional conference hours. Look for:
- Tuesday Welcome Reception at the Convention Centre;
- Wednesday Welcome dance with the Kung Fu Lawyers;
- Thursday Bring IT, Together Reception & Network @ 4:45 – 6 p.m. in the Exhibit Hall;
- Thursday Photo Walk @ 8:30 p.m. leaving from SCCN and heading to the Horseshoe Falls;
- Thursday BIT Jam Session from 8:30 p.m. – 12:30 am @ SCCN, Ballroom C;
- Thursday BIT Minecraft LAN Party from 8:30 p.m. – 12:30 am @ SCCN;
- Friday Run/Walk/Be Active with Alana! @ 7:00 a.m.
Photo Credit – thanks, Heather Durnin (not photoshopped!)
And, a new event this year - #BIT14 #SelfieScavenger Selfie Scavenger Hunt
The selfie is all the rage these days with young and old alike! Join in the fun at the Bring It Together conference by getting to know our conference venue and each other with our selfie scavenger. Capture yourself with a conference committee member, an exhibitor from the exhibit hall, of yourself learning something new in the Learning Space, a staff member from the Scotiabank Convention Centre and at least three of our six fantastic keynotes. All you need is your best smile, your smartphone, and a Twitter/Instagram account to play.
1. Take a photo or video of one of the #SelfieScavenger suggested capture ideas.
2. Tag it with both #SelfieScavenger #bit14 starting on Wednesday, November 5th, 2014.
3. Share it on Twitter/Instagram. Last entry by noon on Friday, November 7th, 2014.
4. Follow the hashtag, like your favourites and encourage people to like yours.
5. Win some really COOL prizes for participation, popularity, and originality!
#SelfieScavenger prizes? Thursday and Friday … in the theatre and exhibit hall.
Complete details are available on the Social Events page on the website. Look for restaurants offering meal discounts for #BIT14 conference attendees.
Oh, and don’t forget the learning.
And … make sure that you schedule a nap somewhere in there.