@nobleknits2 owes me a few hours of my life back!
She introduced me to GeoGuessr and it’s been an obsession ever since.
It’s a geographic game and the “Guessr” part of the name is unfortunate. If you enjoy geography and can get clues from images, it’s really all about inquiry and discovery. All in a game format.
The premise is pretty simple. Start a game and the application pulls an image from somewhere in the world, courtesy of Google. Look around in 3D for clues about the location. Some are fairly intuitive; some may take some noodle scratching; and, I guess some just require a guess.
No matter how, you end up with an idea of where in the world the image is. Click as close to the location as on the map as you can and then “Make a Guess”.
Score is determined by how close to the actual location you got.
Play a number of rounds and the game is over. Check out your score.
Embarrassingly, here’s one of my games that I hammered through to do a screen capture for this post. I need to brush up on my Portugese language skills and learn the difference between Australian locations and New Zealand locations!
If you’re a geography fan, you’ll enjoy it. I think this would be a wonderful competitive activity for the geography classroom.
Give it a shot. If you get hooked, be like me and blame @nobleknits2!
- GeoGuessr: An utterly addictive geography game (theatlanticcities.com)
- There Goes Your Entire Day: GeoGuessr (rockpapershotgun.com)
- GeoGuessr Asks, “Where Are You Now?” (escapistmagazine.com)
- Geographical Guessing Games – Test Your Google Mapping Skills with GeoGuessr and Explore the World (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- GeoGuessr (curiousfridays.wordpress.com)
- Do You Know Where This Dusty Country Road Is? (businessinsider.com)
- GeoGuessr Tips: How To Master The Internet’s Amazingly Addictive New Obsession (huffingtonpost.co.uk)
Please share your thoughts here. I’d enjoy reading them.