Like most people, I watched the Toronto/Boston hockey game last night. It’s slim pickings on the tube now that Montreal has been eliminated.
This morning, I decided to take a look at the way that the story was covered.
- Game 7 win was the Bruins’ miracle on ice
- Bruins rally, stun Leafs 5-4 in OT in Game 7
- Bruins win Game 7 in OT after wild rally
- Maple Leafs blow lead to Bruins, lose Game 7 in overtime
- Toronto Maple Leafs season choked away in Game 7: Cox
- Meltdown in Beantown sees Maple Leafs eliminated in overtime of Game 7
Were these reporters watching the same game? I thought this would be a terrific exercise in Media Literacy.
- Can you tell anything from the headlines?
- Are any of the articles going to be objective?
- If you were a sports writer, how would you have written the story?
We often talk about perspective in reporting; I can’t think of a better way to show that you can’t rely on a single source for balanced, objective news. Sports really amplifies the message being delivered.
Meanwhile in Montreal, buried in the sports section…
- Leafs collapse sees Bruins move on
Toronto surrenders three-goal, third-period lead in Game 7 OT loss
Oh, and the “Related Articles” adds even more content!
- Bruins Score Twice in Final Moments of Game 7 to Force Overtime Against Maple Leafs (Video) (nesn.com)
- Bruins Defeat Maple Leafs In Overtime Of Game 7 (ridethepine.com)
- Discuss: Bruins’ incredible comeback pushes them past Toronto (prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com)
- Bruins vs Leafs- Game Seven Preview (sidelinebanter.com)
- Maple Leafs vs. Bruins Game 7 recap: Boston eliminates Toronto (sbnation.com)
- Bruins’ comeback epic in many respects (espn.go.com)
- Increased police presence in downtown Toronto for Maple Leafs Game 7 (metronews.ca)
- Toronto Sun Cover Proclaims ‘The Choke’s on Us’ After Maple Leafs Blow Three-Goal Lead Against Bruins (Photo) (nesn.com)
- Bruins rally by Leafs, win series (bangordailynews.com)
- Bruins’ miracle comeback stuns Leafs in Game 7 (nhl.si.com)
Please share your thoughts here. I’d enjoy reading them.