I will absolutely blame Rockmelt for taking me on a tangent today.
I read this story from my Rockmelt feed.
That took me off on a reading spree. Some of the reading included:
- ‘4Real’?, New Zealand reveals banned baby names
- New Zealand’s list of crazy, banned baby names includes Lucifer, Majesti, V8 and Lord
- 18 U.S. baby names that are banned in New Zealand
I think anyone who ever has been fortunate enough to have children ultimately get the questions “Daaaaaad or Moooooom, why did you call me that?”
Sometimes, it’s to maintain a family naming tradition; sometimes it’s to honour a family member; sometimes it’s a trend;
Or, as I told my kids it’s because I lost a bet!
As I look through some of the names that made the list, I can totally concur. It may be a cause of trama to be names after a weird uncle but imagine the years of sessions on the couch that would be the result of being named some of them.
Then, I started to think about Twitter handles. Maybe not so legislated as something that will go on a birth certificate but could still create some cause for concern. After all, the following names are open:
and there seem to be some names that appear to be victims of cybersquatting
Naming a baby is one thing. You can have more than one person with the same name. Not so on Twitter. Every name has to be unique. What happens when all the good names are gone? Do you have a dougpete1? or a dougpete2?
Or, perhaps as my friend Peter Skillen once proposed that he “dugpete”.
So, when you register your baby’s name, should you also register and maintain a Twitter name for them so that they don’t get stuck with a really bizarre one out of necessity?
Nah, Twitter won’t be around then.
- Lucifer, 4Real, Queen Victoria – New Zealand’s banned baby names (itv.com)
- New Zealand updates banned baby name list (holykaw.alltop.com)
- Parents Naming Their Kids “Lucifer” (thekenyanwoman.com)
- New Zealand adds Lucifer, Anal and 4Real to banned names list (newsfixnow.com)
- Banned babies’ names list updated in New Zealand (irishtimes.com)
- New Zealand says no to bizarre baby names 4Real, Juztice and Lucifer (telegraph.co.uk)
- Full List Of New Zealand Banned Baby Names: Lucifer, Anal, Mafia No Fear … – International Business Times (ibtimes.com)
- Anal, Lucifer and 4real Among Banned Baby Names in New Zealand (counselheal.com)
- Banned Baby Names List Emerges in New Zealand (webpronews.com)
- New Zealand Updates Banned Baby Names List (newsfeed.time.com)