Well, today’s the day. The penny in Canada is being phased out. Read about it here on the Royal Canadian Mint site or I’ll bet every newspaper in the country.
To celebrate the value of the penny, the CBC has an interactive quiz that tests your knowledge.
“Penny on Mac Keyboard” by Doug Peterson
See what you know about the penny by taking the quiz.
Test your knowledge of the penny before its Monday demise
There’s some interesting trivia to be had in this short 10 question quiz. I was amazed and wondered just how the heck I remembered some of those things. Others, I knew right away and, honestly, I guessed on a couple of others.
Here’s my result.
How did you do?
How’s that for a quicky activity for students today. Then, it’s off to something a little more significant – like rounding or truncating numbers. Make sure you do it! How many times do you get to teach a valuable life skill on the very day that it kicks in!
Powered by Qumana
Later Edit: I think I remember where I learned so much about the penny. A few years ago, I created the Canadian Currency archive for OSAPAC to go along with the Ministry licensed SMART Ideas software.
- Obituary: The penny: 1876 – 2013 (lfpress.com)
- End of the penny: an infographic (deanadeciccio.wordpress.com)
- Should the UK ditch the penny like Canada? (bbc.co.uk)
- Sorry penny, it’s not me, it’s you (insidehalton.com)
- CENTimental artists, designers and DIYers inspired by penny’s demise (ctvnews.ca)
- 5 odd questions about the death of the penny (cbc.ca)
- Canadian penny stares into terrifying abyss of permanent oblivion (o.canada.com)
- Flaherty reminds Canadians the penny’s days are numbered (business.financialpost.com)
3 thoughts on “Penny Wise”
Reblogged this on ARZcreation.com.