Those that know me, know that I like to automate as much as possible to my benefit. Call me lazy; I prefer to think that it’s innovative.
When I use an application, I like what it can do for me but the next thing I ask is “What else can you do for me?”
One of the very best tools for helping this out is IFTTT.com. Basically, it’s a resource that will let you automate so many social services. Some of the great things that I’ve got it doing for me already are
- if someone tags me on Facebook, put a copy of that image in my Evernote account;
- if someone favours one of my Twitter messages, send a copy of it to Evernote so that I can review it later;
- if there’s a weather alert (snow, storms, etc.) send me an overnight email so I can read it first thing in the morning;
- and about a dozen other things.
Now, some of the ideas that I use, I generate myself.
Others? IFTTT has a public recipe sharing area where people who have great ideas share them to you. Recently, I took a look through the online repository and added a few more.
- send me iTunes #FreeAppoftheWeek to my email account;
- send me a text message if I get an email from my wife (that way, I’m never out of reach completely);
- send me a text message if something I’m searching for shows up on Craigslist.
If you can imagine, it would take considerable time to be constantly checking for the above and most of the time, there would be nothing. Now, I’ve automated the process…I’m only notified if something actually happens.
While I’m really happy with what I’ve got so far, what I’d really like to do is automate a posting to Pinterest. There’s lots going the other way – from Pinterest – but I’d like to automatically send to Pinterest. Perhaps some day.
And the best one of the bunch…
- if Facebook’s share drops to less that $10, send me an email!
I hope that it doesn’t come to this!
If you’re an IFTTT, what’s your favourite recipe?